I just finished The Vile Village, part 7 in Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events. Only 6 more books to go, but before I get started with the Hostile Hospital, we’ll take a look on this one!
The Beaudelaire orphans are in trouble. After their last guardian turned out to be Count Olaf’s evil girlfriend, Mr. Poe has trouble finding a new home for the children. They end up entering a program where an entire town takes on the responsibility of raising them and the town’s name is: VFD. Are Violet, Klaus and Sunny one step closer to solving the mystery? Or is it just another cruel joke?
What amazes me most about this series is how the same basic plot can be so fascinating and also different in each book, despite the fact that you know from the first page on how it will most likely end. So far all the installment had been interesting reads but The Vile Village marks sort of a turning point. If even possible, the story gets darker. Not only Count Olaf seems to be against the Beaudelairs by now it’s almost the whole world. Furthermore, you can sense that from here on things will be a bit more mysterious and we are getting closer to finally finding out what V. F. D. stands for.
I’ve mentioned before that the narrator, Lemony Snicket, is reason enough to read this series and that the illustrations are beyond wonderful. No need to go into detail on that again, just a little reminder 😉
The great thing about The Vile Village and also about the rest of the series is that despite the fact that you’re dealing with children’s books, very serious matters are picked up. If you see some of the stuff as metaphors you can identify a lot of criticism concerning our society. So even as an adult, this books will give you food for thought.
The Vile Village was a very dark yet fascinating story to read. I can’t wait to follow the Beaudelairs in The Hostile Hospital!
Did you read the book? Let me know in the comments what you think!
- Book vs. Movie: A Series of Unfortunate Events
- Book Review: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (A Series of Unfortunate Events #1)
- Book Review: The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (A Series of Unfortunate Events #2)
- Book Review: The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket (A Series of Unfortunate Events #3)
- Book Review: The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket (A Series of Unfortunate Events #4)
- Book Review: The Austere Academy by Lemony Snicket (A Series of Unfortunate Events #5)
- Book Review: The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket (A Series of Unfortunate Events #6)