I know, I know. It’s been some time since the finale of Season 6 aired. But I guess by now it’s safe to assume that you are all done watching Game of Thrones and I can throw in as many spoilers as possible😉
So let’s talk about season 6!
Thought #1 – The Arya story arc:
Annoyed doesn’t nearly describe my feeling for this story line. Arya is an interesting character and from what the books indicated this was super promising. But how it turned out in the show was a huge letdown. Basically her whole time in Bravos was superfluous.
The show makers really pissed me off with not even trying to make it better. It felt like this was a part of the plot they just wanted to get over with. I mean, Arya, trained assassin, knows that the waif is up to kill her simply strolls around with her guard down, then gets stabbed several times and is miraculously cured by a bowl of soup. Yeah, sure…
Thought #2 – The Quality Gap:
I’m sure I’m not the only one to notice this. Ever since the show overtook the books and George R. R. Martin did not tell the show runners what to do, you can clearly see a decline in quality. Those of you who read the novels know how often the show not only took the books as script but also directly quoted most conversations from there. You could still tell for which parts of the season Martin still had some instructions. But unfortunately it was also pretty obvious where the show runners tried themselves…
Thought #3 – The Sand Snakes/Dorne:
This thought is actually not season 6 exclusive. It began when Dorne was introduced in the show. I was very excited but then this fascinating story arc turned out so awful, I wished they had left it out in total. In season 6 the show runners proved once more that they have absolutely no love for the plotline in Dorne. Come on, if you’re not even going to try, just leave it out. That would have been less annoying.
Thought #4 – Danaerys:
So, we spent 6 seasons waiting and now she is finally on her way. Her plotline always somewhat reminded me of Lord of the Rings. I know I’m about to piss off some LOR fans, but when I read the first book I was startled. Out of the 315 pages, they spent 300 walking through the woods. Danaerys spent 5 seasons and 9 episodes getting ready to go. But now I have my hopes up. Benioff and Weiss, please don’t disappoint me.
Thought #5 – Improved Travel:
Do you remember how it always took several episodes, if not season, to cross Westeros, let alone to travel to more exotic places?
Well, in season 6 somebody must have invented beaming. It seemed rather ridiculous how Varys seemed to travel from Dorne back to Danaerys within minutes. Or Yara and Theon, who meet up with her in the blink of an eye. By the way, the Iron Islands part is another plotline where nobody tried to hard…
Thought #6 – The Finale:
Well, this one was huge. The season 6 finale featured so much stuff, I need to break it down:
- King’s Landing: So, Darth Cersei ignited some wildfire and now rules. Apart from her looking absolutely stunning and badass in that black dress, I have to thank her. The whole High Sparrow plotline bored me and seemed to be going nowhere. No more problems with that. Furthermore, Tommen may have been a nice and cute boy but no way fit to be a king. As ruler he was a total wiener. And hey, now we know why it’s called King’s Landing. Last but not least: I loved the look on Jaime’s face when he just got back in time to Cersei’s coronation. Simply brilliant.
- Oldtown: Although I loved seeing the library, this tiny scene was a bit unnecessary. I do enjoy the Sam/Gilly plotline but this totally could have waited for next season. It deserves more time to expand and just squeeing in one little scene doesn’t do it justice.
Anyway, the guy at the citadel. He must be the blueprint of all bureaucrats in the world. Living in Austria, he made me feel right at home.
- At Winterfell: Has there ever been anyone more badass than Lyanna Mormont. I swear, this girl would have conquered Westeros before bedtime.
So what are your thoughts on GOT season 6? Did Hodor also break your heart? Let me know in the comments!
- Fun with Game of Thrones – 5 Videos
- Game of Thrones 5 Thoughts on Seasons 5
- Game of Thrones Season 5 is here! (A recap on the last 4 seasons)
- Book vs. Movie (or better TV show): Game of Thrones (book 1+ season 1)
- Chillin’ on the Couch with my Remote: Game of Thrones – or better said: that escalated quickly